I sincerely appreciate your consideration and review of the following background information, references and record of accomplishments. They best tell the story of an independent inventor who has walked the walk while wisely and effectively fighting for patent rights and in the process has come to understand the inventors’ plight in our current system and why "outside of the box” reform is needed to restore value to patents in order to inspire creations.
If honored with an appointment to the PPAC, I will be a strong voice for the tens of thousands independent inventors who need to be heard and represented. Serving as President of Inventors Network has meant countless volunteer hours, helping and understanding inventors, and is a role I fill and love with a passion. The feedback the many inventors (both IN and others) I hear from is invaluable. My background also includes corporate, entrepreneurship/inventing, and non-profit/volunteer success and I feel well positioned to be an active, listened to, and effective member of this important committee and will work tirelessly on your behalf.
- Procter and Gamble- Unit Manager (Age 23), charged with managing one of the country’s largest units (top 5%- 65 Million in 2020 dollars), multiple employees and major accounts
- E and J Gallo Winery- Division Manager- Overseeing 8 states, multiple direct reports and an extensive distributor network including the winery's largest customer
- Chicago Tribune and Sun-Times (Age 14)- Tops in courier subscriptions for both papers at the same time
- Expressions Custom Furniture- Owned design-forward furniture stores including the top store in the 90-unit chain (sales tripled in the first two years of ownership vs prior owner)
- Pints for People - Co-founder of one of the first Beer Tastings in Minnesota. Nine years running with 100% of the proceeds going to local charities.
- Independent Inventor with two Patents; Dual-Use Food Package (US 8999414) and Yogurt Bin (US 10081452).
- Three of four inventions have been licensed to include those patent pending (Wallet Pill Holder and Key Chain iteration)
- InventorsNetwork.org - One of the oldest (1990) and largest (based on dues-paying members) inventors organizations in the US. Membership has doubled as President (2016 - now)
- Regular and active participation at national meetings of the United Inventors Association, Inventors Groups of America and US Inventor
- Current on innovation and market trends, attending a variety of trade shows (Houseware, Hardware, Promotional Products, and Packaging)
Non-Profit and Volunteering
- President* - Inventors Network
- President* - Edina Morningside Rotary - Awarded highest honor - “Service Above Self"
- President* - Edina Morningside Rotary Foundation
- President* - Galleria Retailers Association
- President* - Expressions Custom Furniture Franchise Advisory Board
- * served in multiple capacities (e.g., VP, Board Member)
- Patent Reform - Since 2014 when just a handful of inventors (i.e.; Paul, Randy, Adrian and others) went to DC and first teamed to successfully defeat anti-patent holder legislation. My advocacy has continued through local meetings with Representatives and Senators, along with several visits to DC over the years.
- Writings - The Hill (DC), Star and Tribune (Minneapolis), Argus Leader (South Dakota) and Post-Bulletin (Rochester)
- State-wide sales tax holiday (initiator) - This started in South Dakota with unanimous passage in a House Committee (ultimately defeated elsewhere, but became future law)
- Federal Court - Non-profit - Principle negotiator - Led to a favorable settlement with Federal Judge Kressel affirming our non-profits right to classify sponsorship dollars as exempt.
- Nostradamus Award - Given for bravery and vision by the Expressions CEO for a stand-alone moment that concerned a factory change which later proved essential and was reinstated.